County schools were created in Ohio in 1914 after adoption of section 3, article VI of the Ohio Constitution. With the creation of county school districts and the office of the county superintendent of schools, they were charged with " elevating the state system of education to a proper standard." Their primary purpose was to draft courses of study for school systems, provide in-service training for teachers and assure quality classroom instruction through supervision and evaluation. By the 1930s county boards began assisting district with fiscal and purchasing services, and in the 1960s they began operating special education programs for schools. In 1995, county school districts were renamed "educational service centers." In addition to continuing these initial services, they now serve as broad regional agencies, providing large-scale support and assistance to local, city, and exempted village schools.
The purpose of the Ohio network of ESCs is to work in partnership with schools, communities, the Ohio Department of education, the Ohio General Assembly and other state policymakers to support cost-effective, innovative educational efforts to raise expectations, build capacities and improve results in programs and services to educators and students.
The Educational service Center of Cuyahoga County
6393 Oak tree Blvd.
Independence, Oh 44131
Contact: Dr. Jennifer Dodd, Director of Operations and development